GOVERNMENT COLLEGE, KARIAVATTOM, THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA – 695581
DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY
- The Department of Biochemistry commenced along with the establishment of the college in 1997 thereby becoming the first ever in Kerala to introduce undergraduate course in Biochemistry in the Government sector.
- Biochemistry, being a central basic discipline to all branches of Biology/ Life Sciences basically deals with the study of various chemical processes taking place within a living organism. It helps to understand the various aspects of cellular and molecular functions in development, health and disease. The Department offers a congenial environment for knowledge development, research training and individual growth. The Department has well equipped laboratory facilities with sophisticated instruments needed to develop the skill of the students and to support them for conducting project works.
- The sanctioned student intake is 32 and on an average 30-40% of our students gets admission for M.Sc. Biochemistry in various Universities every year. After completing their post graduation most of them have qualified in national entrance examinations conducted by CSIR, UGC, ICMR, etc., for research fellowships and for higher studies abroad. Many of the alumni have occupied responsible positions in India and abroad and have won acclaim for their contributions to the advancement of Biochemistry.
- The Department offers BSc Biochemistry (Core) Course and Biochemistry as part of the core course of BSc Biotechnology.
- It follows the syllabus and course pattern prescribed by the University of Kerala.
- Strives to be one of the foremost teaching departments in Kerala, to have national standing and to be known for its excellence in teaching and training
- Committed to provide outstanding teaching in Biochemical sciences and excellent laboratory training in affiliated programs as to impart students with a sound knowledge of the fundamental principles and practice of Biochemistry.
- Enable the students to seek admission in premier institutes for higher education and orient them towards research
|Associate Professor||Assistant Professor||Guest Faculty|
- SINI.H, M.Sc., M.Phil, Ph.D Assistant Professor
- RADHIKA.A, M.Sc., Ph.D Assistant Professor
- BOBAN.PT., M.Sc., M.Phil, Ph.D Assistant Professor
- DHANYA.C.R., M.Sc., M.Phil, Ph.D Assistant Professor
- During February 24 & 25th ,2010 conducted Seminar on Advances in Biochemistry in health and disease Funded by: Department of Collegiate Education, Government of Kerala
- During March 2 to 4, 2015 conducted Seminar on Natural products in therapy. Funded by: Department of Collegiate Education, Government of Kerala